Thursday, June 6, 2013

Our Tiny Apartment

I woke this morning to memories of a time when my oldest son Louie was about 16 months old.  It was 1983.  We were extremely poor but we were able to afford a tiny two room apartment that was infested with cockroaches.  The small apartment was nestled in a hotel that sat above an entire block which was located in the downtown area of Homedale Idaho.  People dubbed it the "Cockroach Hotel".

Although not fond of the fact that my son's first word was bug, it was a happy time for me.  Louie kept me busy and I loved spending all my time with my little boy.  We would go for walks around town, play at the park, go to the library or stop to visit one of his cousins.  We were inseparable.



Friends or family would ask me how I could stand to live in such a dump.  To me it wasn't a dump, it was our home and my son and I were together.

Like this morning, I still think of that little apartment.  At those times if I close my eyes and let my mind wonder, I can almost imagine still being there.

No comments:

Post a Comment